Friday, March 8, 2013

All the lasts that make you cry

   We had our last school mass today and being a member of the school choir made it very emotional for me as we sang our hearts out and when it came to the choir's trademark song 'Psalm 4', there was no choice but to just cry and look at one another and thinking this might be the last time you'll see one another for a long time but having no choice but to accept it. Being in that state made me remember my first mass as a choir member and my struggles to learn the voicing for all the songs and where I am now as I didn't have to even think about whether I was doing it right or what, I just did it.

   Afterwards, we attended the speechfest and cheered our own sections on. Each contestant brought something new to the table and we all wondered why are own speeches were so far from theirs, it was inspiring as the topic was the school and how it has formed us or how we identify ourselves after staying behind it's big walls for a bit more than a decade. We knew it was coming and we knew that it was impossible from stopping it but holding is so much easier than letting go. We had our batch's band sing 'Fiz You' and just the love from everyone was overwhelming and I'll surely miss this. The speechfest was given to the school principal for her closing remarks and we all listened intently as she talked about the batch and her being proud of the freshness we keep bringing while maintaining the school's values and we all just wanted to cry when she sad,

"We're ready to let you go."

   Because for the most part, we weren't ready to let go of the school and the afternoon was one of the reasons why. We had our last lectio and we shared and it was just another session of opening up and afterwards, just having fun talking with one another but there was still a lot of time left so we were called to gather as a class as five candles were put in the middle and it was a challenge for us to get the guts to get one and give it to a person as a way of forgiveness or asking for it and as a thank you. It was surreal how much hugs I got and I was too happy to actually cry as I loved our class to bits, the carebears <3

   I love the life I have now, seriously. It's far from perfect but I'm happy and I'd like to think the people around me are happy so that's enough for me. We gathered back to the circle as our teacher-in-charge went ahead to give us her goodbye message as she reminded us to always look out for one another and never forget all the love we have right now and I promised myself that I would do that. She told us that she's never let other students hug her but the sincerity we showed left her with no choice and she'll miss us and we just cried and sang our final song.


   Once we opened the doors, our kapatiran sisters (our 'sisters' from the freshmen) went inside and gave us all a hug and we just wanted to cry even more, even just the sight of it will move you to tears because you could feel the hesitance of everyone to let go from the hugs because of the chance that it was the last. The best part would probably be my hug from someone I've had problems with in the past. When that happened, things just seemed to fall into place and I felt that no matter what happened from that point on, I had that moment to hold onto.

   All I can say is high school really is the best years of your life and it's impossible not to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment